The cynical, acerbic and always-entertaining website Cracked.com (yes, the same Cracked you passed around with your middle school classmates) has an interesting article listing seven fascinating and often-times not-so-cheery scientific discoveries about pregnancy, genetics and birth.
· Australian researchers have discovered that the month you were born influences your athletic prowess.
· Women in Finland who eat too much licorice during their pregnancies have children with lower IQs.
· Too much stress during pregnancies can cause women to have kids with a whole host of problems: allergies, autism, slow development and learning difficulties in infants.
· Researchers have made a connection between alcohol consumption during pregnancy to eventual binge drinking by teens.
· Mothers who ate higher calorie diets around the time of conception are more likely to bear sons.
· The season in which you were born has a determining influence on birth defects.
· Men who smoked as kids tend to have fatter children.