On August 9th, a 26-year-old man together with his two dogs died from being electrocuted in the pool when they were in the Kudi Pet Park in Beijing’s Chaoyang Park via a report in Shanghai Daily. His wife suffered a shock trying to save her husband, but survived. There are hazards to be aware of when walking your dog around the neighborhood especially if there are lampposts, to the dog park and around the house. Here are some tips from Street Zaps and via Find Us A Vet.
Preventing My Dog From Getting Shocked Outdoors
- Use the same route when walking your dog so you’re familiar with the lampposts and metal plates along the way. “Eyeball the block and avoid a shock,” advises Street Zaps.
- Avoid any lampposts with open panels, which are electrical hazards whether the lamp is lit or not.
- Don’t tie your dog’s leash to a lamppost. Although it may appear to be safe, it could be leaking voltage. “Non-conductive objects and surfaces, unless salted, are always safer options year-round for you and your dog,” according to the website.
- Do not let your dog step on metal manhole covers or plates. “Metal on the street or sidewalk can be electrified if deteriorated or improperly installed,” Street Zaps reports. “Renovation and ongoing construction sites utilizing temporary wiring can create a higher possibility for a shocking incident.”
- Do not let your dog urinate on a power pole.
Preventing My Dog From Getting Shocked Indoors
- Get on your knees and do a “dog’s-eye view” inspection of your floors, checking under furniture and inside lower cupboards for electrical cords and any other hazards.
- Throw away any damaged electrical cords in your home. “Even minimal contact with a bare wire can cause serious harm to your dog (making contact with the feet, nose, or tongue, for example),” reports PetMD.com.
- Keep cords at least 6 inches off the floor. “Your dog is much less likely to stand and chew a cord than she is to lie down and enjoy a “teething session” with it.”
- Coat electrical cords with a bitter-tasting spray (such as Bitter Apple) that makes them unappetizing to your dog.
- Unplug the cords for any appliances that are not in use.
- Give your dog chew toys and praise her when she chews them.
In the event that you need to rush your do to the vet you can take your pet to International Center for Veterinary Services (ICVS).
Photo courtesy of David de la Luz (Flickr)