Add some Mid-Autumn flair to the house décor with easy to make paper lanterns. Granted these lanterns will not look anything like the store bought Chinese paper lanterns. But this is a good way to get the whole family geared up to enjoy the September break with colorful decorations around the house.
What you’ll need
Glitter or sequins, if desired to decorate your lantern
How to make it
- Use your ruler to measure and cut one inch off the short end of your paper. Set aside to use as the handle.
- Fold your paper in half lengthwise.
- Draw a line one inch from the end of the long edge of the paper opposite the folded edge. This will be the line where you stop cutting.
- Measure and mark lines one inch apart starting at the folded edge and moving towards the "stop cutting" line. (see photo)
- Cut on the marked lines up to the "stop cutting" line.
- Unfold the paper.
- Re-crease the paper in the opposite direction. This will hide any pencil marks.
- Match the long edges together on the lantern and use tape to hold it in place.
- Staple the handle to the top of the lantern. (see photo)
- Make as many lanterns as you wish and display them around your home.
- If you wish, add glue, glitter, sequins or other things to decorate your lanterns.
Sourced from Spoonful
Photo courtesy of Spoonful