As we reach the half-way point of my self-inflicted “Movember-plus” challenge, I would like to take this opportunity to update our readers on the state of my upper lip.
Sadly, donations have been scarce so far. So I also thought that I would share just a few of the problems that I’ve encountered over the last couple of weeks (ones that will worsen exponentially over the next 15 days). My hope is that I might elicit some sympathy for myself and thus some contributions for this fantastic charity.
- The most obvious drawback is that I look ridiculous. Whereas Tom Selleck, Walter Cronkite, Hulk Hogan, and Genghis Khan all managed to use their ‘taches to appear more manly and handsome, I have instead taken on the appearance of a 1970s bank clerk.
- Lots of people in China aren’t aware of Movember as a concept, so the vast majority think that I want to look like this.
- It’s really itchy. Just imagine what it would be like to have a hairy caterpillar sitting on your face. All the time.
- The moustache is a human magnet for crumbs and other small morsels that I don’t realize are there until the end of the day.
- The beijingkids team, while generally supportive, keep on commenting on how the ‘tache makes everything I do seem that little bit more creepy.
So at the risk of sounding desperate – please, please take a second of your time (and whatever RMB you can spare) and make a donation to the New Life Centre. The personal circumstances that these orphaned, neglected, and destitute kids find themselves in immediately dwarf my complaints about having a slightly hairier face. They also probably dwarf your need for that overpriced latte or those extra few glasses of wine this weekend.
The details on how you can donate can be found here and if we make enough money then I might (just might) post an audacious photo series involving moustache wax.