Once again, Harrow International School Beijing is getting ready for its annual Autumn Fair with games, activities, performances, and food for the larger Beijing community. Taking place on Saturday, October 18 from 10am to 4pm on school grounds, this is the first year that Harrow is allowing external vendors to participate. As usual, all proceeds will fund Harrow’s house charities and school improvements. Admission is free.
One of Harrow’s biggest fundraising events, the Autumn Fair is expected to attract 2,000 visitors this year with approximately 80 stalls run by parents, students, and external vendors.
For the latter, there’s a focus on fun activities for kids. Participants include Wanlong Ski Resort, Beijing Sailing Center, Center Ice, and Little Gym. Most of them will be running free games.
According to a floor plan provided by Friends of Harrow (the school’s parent-teacher organization), these will include:
- A jousting ring with Headmaster David Shinkfield taking on challengers (find out more about him here)
- A bouncy castle
- A treasure dig
- An inflatable obstacle course
- A friendly soccer tournament for kids under 9 (be sure to bring your child’s cleats and shorts if they’re interested in participating)
- A ring toss
There will also be cultural activities such as:
- Scottish dancing with members of the Beijing Caledonian Society (having been a whiskey tasting with these guys before, I can tell you they’ll be great)
- Theater workshops
- On-the-spot portraits by a Harrow student artist
- Student performances
In addition, Harrow’s parent community will make dishes from their home countries, including Italian, English, Scottish, and Korean.
Finally, the Grand Raffle will have prizes like wine, ski passes, a four-night stay in Hong Kong and Macau with access to the Ocean Waterpark, summer camp vouchers worth RMB 6,600, photography sessions, pearls worth up to RMB 10,000, and more.
In case of high AQI, the school will move the fair indoors.
More pics from last year:
Photos: Courtesy of Friends of Harrow