This is the second part of a three part series. The first featured how to make the easy crepe paper tassel garlands.
Kids especially love the holidays – after all, school is out and there’s a steady influx of gifts and candy. Double up on the spirit of the season and get your little ones crafting their own decorations. Gradually making your own as a family builds their anticipation for the winter holidays, so skip the shops this year and try some DIY decor instead. These rustic projects are cheerful, colorful, and inexpensive, and we’re sure you’ll find making them is enjoyable for kids from 1 to 92.
Estimated time: 3-4 hours
Suitable for: Age 5+ (adult supervision required)
Materials for Flour Dough
• 4 cups of all-purpose flour
• 1 cup salt
• 1½ cups of water
Materials for Painting
• Acrylic paint
• Paint brushes
1. Preheat oven to 165°C.
2. Mix flour and salt well. Gradually add water, stirring with a large spoon.
3. Knead until soft on a flat surface. Add a little water if the dough begins to be tough to knead.
4. Roll out the dough on a floured surface to a thickness of 3-4mm.
5. Cut shapes with cookie cutters.
6. With a toothpick, make a hole in the top of the ornament so you can hang it later.
7. Place the shapes on cookie sheets, and bake until hard, but not brown; about 1.5 hours.
8. Take out of oven and cool on a wire rack. Once fully dried, choose ones that are rock hard. Discard or continue to bake the ones that aren’t.
9. Sort the shapes, as this make it easier to pick which base color to start with.
10. Paint the front surface, leaving the sides for a more natural effect. Allow the shapes to dry.
11. Cut some string and pass it through the hole you made before baking. If the hole has become obstructed during baking, use the tip of a scissors to open it up again. Tie the string firmly.
This article originally appeared on p50-51 in the December 2014 issue of beijingkids. To view it online for free, click here. To find out how you can obtain your own copy, email email@example.com.
Photos: Uni You and Joey Guo