Today is the last day to sign up for Beijing City International School’s (BCIS) first ever Parent Workshop on International Education on Friday, May 29. Led by former BCIS Head of School Nick Bowley and former BCIS teacher (and Bowley’s wife) Rhona, the workshop aims to give parents and participants the opportunity to learn more about the foremost practices and approaches in international education from prestigious international educators. Find out more about Nick and Rhona Bowley here.
The whole-day event will be divided into four sessions including a Q&A at the end. Throughout the sessions, parents and participants will work toward achieving a better understanding of the following: the benefits of an international education, the different kinds of international schools and how to select the best fit for your child, parental attributes necessary to support their child at an international school, and earning strategies to maximize their child’s learning at an international school. Parents will also learn how children’s brains change from early childhood, adolescence, and beyond as well as what they can do to adapt parenting skills to help children mature into "high-achieving and socially responsible adults."
Here’s a breakdown with more information on what each session will focus on:
Session 1: An introduction to International Education
- What are the key features of international education?
- How is it different from the Chinese system of basic education?
- What should you look for in an international school?
- Why choose an international school rather than a national school?
- What are the disadvantages of placing your child in an international school?
Session 2: Becoming an effective parent at an International School
- Understanding the school’s culture
- Communicating with the school
- Contributing to the school
- Understanding my child’s learning experience
Session 3: Strategies to support your child at home
- The home environment: what we can learn from the research
- Listening and talking with your child
- Helping with homework
- Will an international school education help my child gain admission to university?
Where: BCIS ECC on the fourth floor
When:Friday, May 29 9am-4pm
To register: Email Yisha Niu at Yisha.firstname.lastname@example.org
Price: The workshop costs RMB 1,080 for BCIS parents and RMB 1,580 for non-BCIS parents.
Photo: Courtesy of BCIS