A number of Sanlitun area bars and restaurants have been told to close this weekend, at least in Taikoo Li South and south Sanlitun’s Courtyard Four, the area just to the south of Gongti Beilu, multiple business owners confirmed to the Beijinger.
Restaurants in Taikoo Li South were instructed to temporarily cease operations from 3pm Saturday, August 22, until 2pm Sunday, August 23, multiple restaurant representatives in that complex told the Beijinger, speaking on condition of anonymity.
“In line with the work of commemorating the 70th anniversary of the Chinese People’s War of Resistance Against Japanese Aggression, and in accordance with arrangements and notices from related Beijing Municipal Governmnt departments, on August 22 and August 23, Sanlitun Taikoo Li South will come under martial law measures.
"According to the requirements of related Beijing Municipal Government departments, during that period, all stores must temporarily cease operations. The time period is: August 22, 2015 3pm to August 23, 2015 2pm," according to a letter from Swire Properties to tenants obtained by the Beijinger.
At least two Courtyard Four business owners have also confirmed they will close August 22-23, with one operator saying that establishment would close for the full weekend. Courtyard 4 is located diagonally across the street from Taikoo Li and contains businesses such as The Bookworm and The Rug.
More closures in the area are likely; venues located in 1949: The Hidden City have reported closing for Saturday.
Residents of the Jianguomenwai and Guanghua Lu areas will be required to keep their windows shut, and three major streets in eastern Beijing will be shut for most of the two days, orders to area residents obtained by the Beijinger show.
All street-facing Jianguo Lu, Xi Dawang Lu, and Guanghua Lu businesses have been ordered to close from the early afternoon of August 22 until the same time on August 23, and only on-duty parade-related personnel are permitted in the area, the order said. All street-facing windows must be closed and are forbidden to be opened, the order said.
Along with these and the Sanlitun closures, the Forbidden City will stop receiving visitors from Saturday, August 22, through Thursday, September 3. Wangfujing will also be closed August 22-23, due to the parade rehearsal.
Best advice: if you plan on going anywhere on Saturday, call ahead.
Beijing municipal officials had previously announced that Tiananmen Square and the Wangfujing area will be closed to the public due to a rehearsal for the September 3 military parade. However, what this has to do with the purchase of Apple products and Nike shoes in Sanlitun, we’re not entirely sure. Stay with the Beijinger for updates.
Margaux Schreurs contributed the original report.
This post has been slightly modified from the original post that appeared on thebeijinger.com on August 19, 2015.