New Zealander Irena Desmond is a global citizen: half-Chinese, raised in Malaysia, and schooled in Singapore and London. She and her fellow-Kiwi husband David Desmond first came to China a decade ago to work as teachers near Shanghai for a year. They returned six and a half years ago for David’s work in trade and enterprise at the New Zealand Embassy. David is currently business development director for Yealand’s Wine Group in China, while Irena runs baby products business Cutefish, which sells a range of sleeping bags, breastfeeding covers, and bibs at fairs around Beijing. The Desmonds have two children, Paxton (age 2) and Scarlet (10 months).
Irena normally wears her hair tied back, and has it cut once or twice a year at a local salon for RMB 25, coloring it herself with box dye from Watsons. “So this is really fun!” she says. Laurent Falcon, the salon’s namesake and artistic director assesses Irena’s needs and hands over the reins to David, master colorist, and Leo master stylist. David paints in natural highlights to tone and blend with Irena’s brown hair, and Leo delivers a long layered cut to add body and movement.
• Heynature Aqua Brightening Gel
• Lunasol Water Cream Foundation
• Shu Uemura Colorless Translucent Powder
• Dior 5 Couleurs Designer All-in-One Artistry Palette
• Etude House Drawing Eye Brow #1 Dark Brown
• Kiss Me Heavy Rotation Perfect Eyeliner in Deep Black
• Shu Uemura Liner in Black
• Shu Uemura Matte Eye Light Pencil in White
• Mac Opulash Optimum Black Mascara
• Mac Lustre Lipstick in Lovelorn
Get the Look:
1. David applies highlights freehandedly throughout Irena’s hair, concentrating lighter tones through the ends.
2. Leo trims a couple of centimeters from Irena’s length, and adds layers to provide volume and lift.
3. Over moisturizer, foundation, and powder, Leo creates a dramatic smoky eye, graduating from black shadow along the lashline, to warm brown shadow in the crease, with a lighter golden brown shadow on the lid and brow bone, and a smudge of white pencil on the inner corners of the eyes. He rubs black pencil into the lashes, and finishes with liquid black eyeliner and mascara. Leo finishes the look with a pop of bright pink lipstick.
Laurent Falcon CBD
Daily 10am-9.30pm. 3L209, 2/F, Phase 3, China World Trade Center Shopping Mall, Chaoyang District (8535 1002, 131 4667 9913, firstname.lastname@example.org)
This article originally appeared on page 22-23 of the beijingkids August 2015 issue. Click here to read the issue for free on Issuu.com. To find out how you can get your own copy, email email@example.com.