Do you hate those one yuan notes that always take up space in your wallet? Use them to create an origami heart! They’re fun to make and very cute. Just follow the steps after the jump and you’ll have an adorable origami heart in a matter of minutes.
I know it might be a bit hard, but try to find a relatively new and uncrumpled note. The results won’t be as good if you use an old and wrinkled one (not to mention significantly grosser).
1. First, fold the top right corner down to meet the bottom of the note.
2. Unfold, and reverse the process by folding up the bottom right corner of the note.
3. Now you can see an "X" shape when you unfold both corners. Pinch the middle creases (like in the first picture) and push down the resulting triangular tip. You’ll send up with something that looks like the photo above.
4. Now do the same thing for the left side of the note.
5. Fold the diamond in half, bringing the edges of the triangles together. Flatten the spine, then unfold the diamond again so that the back looks like the above photo.
6. Turn the diamond over again. Fold the corners of both triangles to the middle.The result will look like the above photo.
7. Then flatten each of the four small triangles to create four small squares.
8. Fold the sides of each square towards the middle crease. (The resulting points should face outwards, not inwards.)
9. Then, unfold each of the creases you just created and flatten into even smaller points.
10. Flip the note over and fold the left and right corners back. Don’t fold them in too much, or you’ll end up with a square backing to the heart instead of a, well, heart-shaped one.
11. Now fold down the top to create the heart shape.
11. If there is a small flap in the back as in the picture, flatten it to the side.
And it’s done!
If you want you can also add a one mao coin in the middle. Just pop it between the four points of the smaller hearts.
Adapted from How to Fold a Dollar Into a Heart
Photos by Laura Ibba