With special thanks to the Siemens Beijing Direct Brand Shop. This is the first part of a three part series.
The true charm of the holiday season is in the homespun and personal. Homemade food in particular has an unmatched charm and joyfulness to it. Each of these delicious and simple recipes are multi-functional; both the fragrant mulling spices and sweet sugar cookies can be given as unique gifts, while a traditional Hanukkah staple, potato latkes can also make for a filling festive brunch or serve as a hearty party canapé if made smaller.
Makes about 2 ½ cups (enough for several recipes)
• 4 whole nutmegs
• ½ cup cardamom pods
• ½ cup cinnamon sticks
• ¼ cup fresh orange peel
• ¼ cup fresh ginger
• ¼ cup whole cloves
• ¼ cup fresh lemon peel (if
giving as a gift, substitute
with dried lemon and
• Star anise, whole pods
1. Peel the orange and lemon, then set aside.
2. Put the nutmeg and cardamom pods in a thick plastic bag. Break them apart with a mallet or heavy rolling pin. You can also process in a food processor or spice grinder, but don’t grind too finely.
3. Put nutmeg and cardamom pieces in a bowl and add the cinnamon chips, ginger root, orange and lemon peel, allspice berries, and cloves.
• 1 bottle red wine
• Fresh orange or pineapple juice (as desired)
• ½ cup mulling spices
1. Slice the peeled oranges and juice them.
2. Pour red wine and fruit juice in a large saucepan.
3. Toss in the mulling spices.
4. Heat slowly over medium heat until steaming, but don’t allow to boil. Turn heat to low, cover, and let simmer for 20 minutes.
5. Strain the mulled wine through a sieve to remove the spices.
6. Serve with a slice of orange and a cinnamon stick for garnish.
Mulled Apple Juice
• 1L fresh apple juice
• ½ cup of mulling spices
• ¼ cup maple syrup (optional)
1. Add apple juice to large pan.
2. Add maple syrup (if desired for extra sweetness) then stir well.
3. Add the mulling spices and gently warm on medium heat for 20 minutes or so until hot.
4. Remove from heat, strain, and pour into thick glasses or mugs. Add a cinnamon stick for garnish.
Siemens Beijing Direct Brand Shop
Daily 9am-6pm. Shop 102, Gemini Grove, 63 Xinyuan Jie, Chaoyang District (WeChat: se_direct_brand_shop) 朝阳区新源街63号院星源汇东塔底商102
This article originally appeared on p54-55 in the December 2014 issue of beijingkids. To view it online for free, click here. To find out how you can obtain your own copy, email email@example.com.
Photos: Uni You