We’ve had some healthier recipes in the magazine of late, but we recognize that Santa is one of the hardest working people in the world. Although he may be a little husky, he needs to keep his energy up at Christmastime. International School of Beijing (ISB) is a family affair for our bakers, the Hardemans. They moved here from Canada four years ago for mom and dad’s jobs at the school. Megan, is a physical education teacher; Mark, is deputy head of school; daughter Sydney (age 8), and Samuel (4) are students there.
Megan loves traditional holiday baking. She makes her mom’s recipes: Canadian favorite Nanaimo bars, gingerbread men, and shortbread. She often uses Pinterest for recipe inspiration, and found these Santa cookies from lecremedelacrumb.com on the site. Megan cautions our readers to pile these cookies high, and watch them carefully. Making them thick and keeping them soft and underdone really brings out their rich, buttery chewiness.
The Hardemans are heading home to Canada for the holidays, excited to spend time with friends and family, and have fun in the snow. Santa already has their holiday destination locked into his GPS. Sydney is hoping he brings her a ping-pong table, and Sam would like a new bike. While Megan says if she has been a good girl, she’ll be opening up a new iPhone 6+ on Christmas morning.
Santa’s Cookies Makes 18 cookies
12 tablespoons butter, softened 12汤匙黄油，软化
¾ cup brown sugar 四分之三杯红糖
¼ cup sugar 四分之一杯糖
1 teaspoon vanilla 1茶匙香草精
1 egg 1个鸡蛋
2 cups flour 2杯面粉
13.4oz box instant Oreo cookie pudding mix 13.4盎司奥利奥饼干速溶布丁粉
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt 半茶匙盐
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips 1杯半甜巧克力片
1 cup Reese’s chocolate
peanut butter chips 1杯Reese巧克力花生酱碎片
1 cup red and green M&M
1. In a food mixer, cream the butter, brown sugar, and sugar for 1-2 minutes until fluffy. Add vanilla and egg and mix well.
2. In another bowl whisk together flour, vanilla pudding mix, baking soda, and salt. 在另一个碗中混合面粉、香草布丁、小苏打和盐。
3. Gradually mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients until incorporated. Stir in both kinds of chips. 慢慢搅拌成均匀的饼干面糊，拌入两种碎片。
4. Preheat oven to 350F. Mist a baking sheet with cooking spray. Roll about 1 tablespoon of cookie dough into a ball and place on the greased baking sheet. Gently press the M&Ms into the cookie dough balls. 烤箱预热至350华氏摄氏度（约176摄 氏度），在烤盘烘焙纸上喷一点点水，挖1汤匙量的饼干面糊到烘焙纸上，轻轻按入几颗M＆M巧克力糖。
5. Bake for 9-12 minutes until cookies are set but still slightly underdone. Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes on the baking sheet. Transfer to a cooling rack to finish cooling completely. Store in airtight container at room temperature. 烘烤9-12分钟，此时曲奇已成型但仍湿润。在烤盘上冷却10分钟后，将饼干转移到冷却架上。完全冷却后的饼干可以在室温下的密闭容器中储存。
Photos: courtesy of Zeus
This article originally appeared on page 28-29 of the beijingkids December 2015 issue. Click here to read the issue for free on Issuu.com. To find out how you can get your own copy, email firstname.lastname@example.org