Two years living in Beijing have been a culinary adventure for the O’Hare family: dad Peter is vegetarian while mom Farina and daughter Livia are pescatarian. “We’ve been able to find food much more easily than we anticipated,” says Peter. He hails from Scotland and teaches Language and Literature and Theory of Knowledge at the Canadian International School of Beijing (CISB). Farina is the head of the Fine Arts department in the Middle and High School at CISB and is from New Zealand.
Today’s dish is a family favorite: a light lunch or snack for warmer spring temperatures. Four-year-old Livia is our willing and able sous chef for the day. All business, she dons a new hairband that she received at her first dance class. Livia talks about her love of dance and encourages dad to put on some music. Peter says, “We know who’s boss around here, don’t we!” Farina gets everything together for the quesadilla, with Livia helping to chop the vegetables in a way that more closely resembles smashing them. Her antics have everyone in fits of laughter and a cheeky smile creeps up on her face.
• 8 wheat tortillas 8张小麦玉米饼
• 1 block of firm tofu 1块豆腐
• 200g of Gouda Cheese 200克高达奶酪
• 2 tomatoes 2个西红柿
• 1 red onion 1个红洋葱
• 1 avocado 1个牛油果
• 2 teaspoons of chopped cilantro 1茶匙切碎的香菜
• A dash of hot sauce to taste 少许墨西哥辣酱
1. Lay four tortillas onto a work surface 在操作台上铺开四张玉米饼。
2. Chop tofu finely. Divide the tofu and cheese among the tortillas. 豆腐切块，将豆腐 和奶 酪摆放在玉米饼上。
3. Chop tomato, onion, and avocado and divide among the tortillas. 西红柿、洋葱、牛油果切块摆放在玉米饼上。
4. Add cilantro and hot sauce to desired taste. 撒上香菜和辣椒添加风味。
5. Top each with a remaining tortilla and press gently to seal. 盖上余下的四张玉米饼，轻轻地按下。
6. Carefully place a quesadilla in a skillet and fry, turning once, until the tortillas are golden and little bubbles appear on both sides, about 4 to 5 minutes total. Repeat with the remaining quesadillas. 将玉米饼小心放入平底锅中，煎至面饼上层出现金色小气孔。其间需适当翻面。
7. Cut each quesadilla into 4 wedges with a pizza wheel or knife. 用披萨刀或小刀将煎饼切成四份。
8. Serve hot or cold with salsa on the side. 可以冷食，搭配莎莎酱最佳。
Photos: Uni You
This article originally appeared on pages 28-29 of the April 2016 Issue of beijingkids. Click here for your free online copy. To find out how you can obtain a hard copy, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.