After the kids have their next intensive sport match why not give them something to refuel and get them through the rest of the day. This super healthy smoothie is a great pick-me-up after a sweaty match. We won’t pretend our M&M granola bars are healthy, but it will no doubt be a winner on the field when shared with friends. It’s all about compromising as a parent. This smoothie and granola bar combination will definitely get you to the next round, no sweat.
There’s nothing better than a cool blended smoothie to replenish your depleted energy levels after a couple hours of running and rolling around in fierce competition. Here’s one of our favorites, which is quite possibly the most appetite inducing smoothies known to man.
Super Sport Smoothie (Serves 4)
1 box or raspberries
1 cup yogurt
1/2 cup honey
3 cups orange juice
Toss all ingredients in the blender and mix till smooth; add ice if you want it with a cold kick
Let’s face it, many of these store bought granola bars aren’t even that healthy, let alone delicious. With these easily found ingredients you can simply fabricate something far superior. Your kids, their coaches, and other parents present on the field will thank you.
M&M Granola Bars
2.5 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup seeds
1/3 cups honey
1/4 cup brown sugar
Pinch of cinnamon
Half cup melted white chocolate
M&Ms to taste
1. Toast the oats and nuts in 180 degrees oven for 5 minutes.
2. Combine butter, honey, and brown sugar, in a saucepan and heat on medium heat till all the sugar is melted.
3. Toss the butter, sugar, honey, mixture in a bowl together with the toasted oats and seeds. Mix till all combined.
4. Put the mixture in a lined baking pan and press very firm so the bars will stay together
5. Pour the melted white chocolate over the granola bars and scatter the M&Ms over the bars.
6. Put the granola bars in the fridge for at least 3 hours so the bars can set.
7. After the bars have set cut them into pieces.
Photos: Uni You
This article appeared on p22-23 beijingkids November 2017 issue.
Download your copy here.