This easy Saltine Toffee Candy treat is super simple if you are looking for something to add a little holiday flavor but are short on time. Only five ingredients are necessary, and about 45 min from your busy schedule, to make the most addicting holiday treat known to man, and it just so happens to be the perfect combo of sweet/salty/crunchy!
Keep in mind that the instructions might need to be altered slightly due to the fact that many of us in Beijing have dwarfed ovens, but this worked fine for me.
• Saltine crackers across your entire pan
• Two sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter
• 1 cup brown sugar packed
• 1 (12 oz) package dark chocolate chips
• Whatever topping you deem necessary. We chose crushed Xinjiang almonds but feel free to use any sort of candy, nuts, or maybe something else local to give it a Beijing theme
1. Preheat oven to 205 degrees C (400 degrees F) and line a rimmed cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2. Place crackers side by side on the lined pan. Set aside.
3. In a large saucepan, combine butter and brown sugar.
4. Bring to boil over medium/medium-high heat and boil for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
5. Pour evenly over crackers.
6. Bake in preheated oven for 5 minutes.
7. Remove from oven and sprinkle chocolate chips on top.
8. Let stand for 5 minutes, then use the back of a spoon to spread melted chocolate chips evenly over the crackers.
9. Top with the topping of choice
10. Cool completely in fridge (about an hour or two) or in freezer (about 20 minutes), then break into pieces.
11. Store in fridge in covered airtight container.
That’s it! Feel free to stuff in decorated tins, lined with colored tissue paper to give away as gifts, but expect everyone to be begging for this recipe after they’ve devoured it in its entirety. It’s really that addictive!
Photos: Kipp Whittaker