Montessori: Buzzword? Scam? The key to unleashing your child's true potential?

Excuse me if I sound ignorant or crass but occasionally it seems to me that the "Montessori Method" of teaching entails sticking a kid in a classroom and letting them do whatever they want (as long as it's not punch the kid sitting next to him/her).

Someone care to enlighten me on its additional virtues/advantages?

Work with us http://www.thebeijinger.com/user/118533/ads
Read the digital edition of the Beijinger http://www.issuu.com/thebeijinger/docs
Read the digital edition of beijingkids http://www.issuu.com/beijingkids/docs

admin
admin's picture

Re: Montessori: Buzzword? Scam? The key to unleashing your ...

Montessori ... Reggio ... Multiple Intelligence Theory -- these terms are often loosely applied, but they seem to be rooted in some interesting theories (some which lie in the realm of common sense).

I think all schools who tout such programs would better serve themselves if they could find a way to clearly and explicitly explain what, exactly, distinguishes these approaches from the traditional 'readin', writin' and arithmetic' without all the esoteric marketing speak.

Jerry Chan, Digital Content & Marketing Director

beijingkids
beijingkids's picture

It's the new organic.

Kara Chin, Managing Editor

pandaroo
pandaroo's picture

I did my Montessori training and course in Multiple Intelligences; true, there are great ideas in their theories, now when it comes to Beijing, lots of Schools claim to be Montessori ones and i really dont like that general term, love others that actually specify: Montessori with Chinese curriculum or like my daughter's school based on Virtues, Montessori school...

there are many short courses on Montessori for parents to have an idea and if thats what they really want for their kid then they could take one, even online and then check schools personally if they actually follow that curriculum 100% and if not what is that additional catch...

lots of great ideas can be presented on the paper, the question is do the schools really follow them, so the only thing you can do is to educate yourself and prepare your questions, observe the classroom/materials they use...

youliiam
youliiam's picture

Quote:
lots of great ideas can be presented on the paper, the question is do the schools really follow them, so the only thing you can do is to educate yourself and prepare your questions, observe the classroom/materials they use...

You hit the nail right on the head

beijingkids
beijingkids's picture

you'll probably find that most schools in Beijing are Montessori-based and design their own curriculum. Don't trust the label, trust the school.

Imogen Kandel, beijingkids Managing Editor (Former)

Zhen
Zhen's picture

Quote:
It's the new organic.

Or "anti-bacterial"

beijingkids
beijingkids's picture

I can just tell my own experience.This method is no longer used in the country I come from.
When my daughter started school here, she was not used to it and have some problems because it is focused on own indipendence.... and she could not understand why she was left alone to work instead of doing everything together with all the class...she felt lonely and you cannot tell her "it's the method"!!!Now, Thanks to her teacher which helped her in every way, she is doing fine, but it is not something for everyone...and I do not like it if pushed to its limits...

hte

I'm from Australia and Montessori is not the big thing there that it is in Beijing. There are a Montessori/Steiner school in the city I'm from ,but to be honest they're more on the fringe of the education system. I was shocked to see such a strong Montessori influence in Beijing -- it just didn't seem like this teaching method matches the culture it's in. It's also a hard label to get away from -- everything seems to have Montessori attached to it in some way.

As I said before, I'd focus more on the individual school and it's own curriculum, rather than trusting the label.

Imogen Kandel, beijingkids Managing Editor (Former)

Zhen
Zhen's picture

true, focus on school and teachers, the best choice...
I heard so many times from parents how ridiculously "popular" Montessori school here but I am guessing you need to "stand out" from Chinese curriculum (i mean those schools gotta justify their high fees Smile ) and I dont think it had to do something with culture, perhaps they were targeting expat families from beginning and something "foreign" is seem to be always a success here in Beijing...

but then again there are so many nice Montessori schools out there (wish the cost wasnt that high) but i can also understand them, all schools fees (the big part depends on the rent), higher the rent for premises (location) higher the fees for school tuition...
even classes that I offer, i know that families would prefer something low cost but cannot do anything about it as gotta pay high rents as well...but trying to keep it still affordable...

youliiam
youliiam's picture

We're moving schools from a Montessori based program to standard Chinese. We're pleased enough with the classroom experience at Ke Er, but the distance is killing me - they failed to deliver on the promised bus - and the new school will be much cheaper and closer to home. With any school, I think it is important for parents to check out the teachers and ensure that you are pleased with their teaching methodology and experience. Reina has had two main teachers at Ke Er and both have loads of experience and love what they are doing. Don't be afraid to check into your teacher's credentials and experience; even administrators.

christopherlay
christopherlay's picture