The 2018 Beijing International School Expo (BISE) is finally happening tomorrow at Renaissance Beijing Capital Hotel in Shuangjing! It’s the biggest school fair of 2018, which brings together more than 90 international schools and educational organizations from Beijing and beyond. We know that it will be a major task to visit all the booths, but the teams behind beijingkids and Jingkids will be more than happy to assist you.
Checklist 1: Hey Hey Hey, Don’t Forget to Register!
Of course, let us remind you that it’s not too late to register — just scan the QR code below.
Checklist 2: Don’t Get Lost!
Renaissance Beijing Capital Hotel is fairly easy to see as it is just on the west/inner side of the East Third Ring Road. You can go there via the following routes:
• Via subway (the easiest): Take Line 10 and get off at Shuangjing station Exit A. You will see the underground entrance to Viva Mall on the right – yes, take that and walk straight ahead until you see the farthest escalator or lift, which bring you to the main entrance of the mall. When you get out, turn left then you will see Renaissance Hotel just across the street.
• Via bus: These bus lines will take you at Shuangjing Qiaobei station, in front of Viva Mall: 57, 72, 98, 402, 运通 107 (Yuntong 107), 300 内 (300 nei), 300 外 (300 wai), 300 快外 (300 kuaiwai). These lines stop at Shuanghua Yuan, directly in front of the hotel: 28, 57, 91, 348, 10, 164, 5.
• Via Didi: Type in Renaissance Beijing Capital Hotel or 北京富力万丽酒店 (Beijing fùlì wànlì jiudiàn)
Checklist 3: Get Our Free Guides
Once you reach the hotel, go to the third-floor activity area. There you can get a visitor’s guide and a free hard copy of our School Choice Guide 2018-2019. You can download your digital copy below.
Checklist 4: Have You Prepared Your Questions Yet?
Here’s the fun part of the school hunt at the fair – knowing which booth to go to first. Your visitor’s guide has an area map that will help you find the booth locations of your prospective schools. Once you lock into your target booth, you can ask them these tried-and-tested questions (adopted from our last year’s School Choice Guide):
• What is your school homework policy?
• Who acts as substitutes during teacher maternity leaves or long-term emergencies? Does tuition include textbooks and supplies?
• What is the school library policy?
• Is the school library open after classroom hours for student research?
• Is the community allowed to use school facilities?
• How many school events involving parents take place during the work week? During weeknights? During the weekend?
• What is the student illness policy?
• What is the student vaccinations policy?
• What is the youngest/oldest age allowed for each extracurricular activity?
• Does your school have a parent-teacher association (PTA)?
• How regularly does the PTA meet?
• Is there a school-wide teacher-to-parent communication policy?
• What are the basic qualifications of your teachers?
Remember to make use of the School Choice Guide! It lists the contact information, tuition fees, and other important details of the many schools at the fair.
Checklist 5: Don’t Forget We Have 12 Free Lectures!
Aside from the school hunt, there are free lectures about the state of international education in Beijing, as well as the innovative trends many schools are using for their curricula. These lectures will be given by seasoned educators, principals, and key opinion leaders (KOLs) in the education industry. These lectures will take place in two different halls, and our team will make regular announcements about them so you won’t miss that one that really interests you. You can find the lecture schedule in the visitor’s guide and in this online article.
Checklist 6: Make It a Day Out and Have Fun
Okay, we understand that the whole process is quite tiring — but remember that there are a lot of restaurants in the area. Just hop across the street and go to Viva Mall, or look at this article to find the best places to get grub.
We also have four kids’ activities area at the venue so you can leave your little ones while you’re busy with the hunt.
On a final note – you will see our yellow-clad team in the venue, and we’re ready to help you! We also have help desks if you have trouble finding your way to your target booths. Don’t be shy to approach us if you have questions (like finding the toilet, or even accessing the wifi).
We’re looking forward to seeing you at the Beijing International School Expo 2018!
Photo: Uni You