Shake up a storm with your very own rain stick!
• Awl or sharp knife
• Cardboard cylinder from toilet paper or paper towel roll
• Two small pieces of cardboard
• Scissors or nail clippers
• Colored paper or fabric
• Masking tape
• Rice, millet, buckwheat or other small grains
|1. Using an awl, poke holes in the cardboard cylinder (parental supervision is advised).
2. Insert toothpicks through the holes, going all the way from one end to the other.
3. Using scissors or nail clippers, cut off the parts of the toothpicks that are sticking out from the cylinder.
|4. Wrap masking tape around the cylinder from the bottom to the top, covering all the toothpick edges.
5. Cut out a piece of circular cardboard and tape over one end of the cylinder.
6. Pour small grains into the cylinder from the remaining open side.
|7. Using another piece of circular cardboard, tape over the other end to close the cylinder.
8. Decorate your rain stick with feathers, glitter, or other pieces of colored paper or cloth (optional).
9. Do a rain dance!