DIY Wall Decals
These wall decals are perfect home decorations for jet-setting expat families who move around a lot – the design is sticky enough to stay on the wall, but can be easily removed. Peel on, and then peel off – they’re fun to make and leave no mess behind.
Difficulty Level: Easy
Xeroxed copy of silhouette images found online
Contact paper (贴纸 tīe zhǐ) – purchase at copy shops or markets that sell stationery
Pen or marker
1. Find your favorite images on the web – search silhouette, stencil, or clipart websites for suitable stock images or use your own photos.
2. At a copy shop, enlarge the image to the desired size.
3. Using scissors, cut out the image along the border. This will be your template.
4. Cut a piece of contact paper larger than your template.
5. Place template upon contact paper. Trace the image onto the contact paper. Decal will be a mirror image of the template. (Tip: Use tape to secure the template).
6. Cut out the decal.
7. Peel off the decal and stick it on your wall.
This post first appeared here on June 9, 2009 and was published in the beijingkids June 2009 issue.