This is the first part of the Home Away From Home: Check Before You Rent Because Later Is Too Late article from our Home & Relocation Guide 2018-2019. See the second part here.
Checklists before you select a house
- Windows: bars and grills (on a lower-level apartment)
- Front door: solid lock
- Community gate entrance policy (visitors, delivery men)
- Proper functioning of video and sound on door monitor
- Functionality of appliances (stove, fridge, hot water heater, air conditioner, washing machine, cable TV, microwave)
- Number of electrical outlets in every room
- Phone/broadband jacks
- Cellphone reception inside the apartment
- Lighting fixtures for brightness and/or replacement
- Speed and power of fans
- Location of fuse box and the electricity meter
- Location of the radiators
- Ceiling for signs of leakage
- Walls: stains or cracks, power outlets
- Floor: unevenness, cracks, or holes
- Windows: cross-ventilation, screens, and locks
Bathroom and Kitchen
- Cabinet space
- Location of the main valves (gas and water)
- Location of meters (gas, electricity, and water)
- Water pressure and functionality of the showerhead
- Faucets: sturdiness, leakage, or need replacement?
- Amount of counter space
- Drainage speed in all sinks and tubs
- Toilet: flush, seat replacement?
- Amount of storage space
- Current furniture: space and door requirements
- Mattress for firmness
- How much natural light does the apartment get?
- Is the neighborhood noisy?
- How close is the nearest street?
- How soundproof is the apartment?
- Location of garbage cans and recycling bins
- Location of bike racks
Photo: Adobe Stock Photo
This article appeared on p30-31 of beijingkids July 2018 Home & Relocation Guide issue