Do you hear that? Chinese New Year is knocking on the door! Whether you’re joining your Chinese friend’s or spouse’s family for this merry festival, or simply just want to exchange greetings with people you bump into meanwhile, get yourself equipped with some commonly-used greeting expressions beyond 新年好 (xīn nián hǎo, “Happy New Year”), and prepare for the wows and probably hongbaos you will get (smirk face sticker inserted)!
The expressions are specific for different age ranges and occupations. For every greeting you can start with 祝你 (zhù nǐ) or 祝您 (zhù nín) . Both mean “may you”, but the latter is more respectful and usually used to elders or peers who are new acquaintances.
May you have a happy Chinese New Year!
- 猪年大吉 (zhū nián dà jí) Good luck for the Year of the Pig!
- 万事如意 (wàn shì rú yì) May all go well with you!
- 心想事成 (xīn xiǎng shì chéng) May all your wishes come true!
- 一帆风顺 (yī fān fēng shun) Wish you every success!
- 岁岁平安 (suì suì píng ān) Wish you everlasting peace and safety for the years to come!
- 阖家幸福 (hé jiā xìng fú) Wish you a happy family!
- 健康长寿 (jiàn kāng cháng shòu) /福寿安康 (fú shòu ān kāng) May you have good health and longevity!
- 福如东海，寿比南山 (fú rú dōng hǎi, shòu bǐ nán shān) May your happiness be as immense as the Eastern Sea, and may you live as long as the Zhongnan Mountains!
To business people
- 生意兴隆 (shēng yì xìng long) Wish your business prospers!
- 财源广进 (cái yuán guǎng jìn) May a river of gold flow into your pockets!
- 工作顺利 (gōng zuò shùn lì) May everything go well with your work!
- 步步高升 (bù bù gāo sheng) Wish you frequent promotions!
- 事业有成 (shì yè yǒu chéng) Wish you a successful career!
- 学习进步 (xué xí jìn bù) Wish you progress in your studies!
- 学业有成 (xué yè yǒu chéng) Wish you great achievement in your studies!
- 金榜题名 (jīn bǎng tí míng) Wish you success in the exam! (specifically for someone who has an important exam such as the Gaokao coming up)
Photo: Andrew Haimerl via pexels