After the success of our first Student Takeover issue last September, we are pleased to announce that we will be doing it again in August. We loved reading about the many interesting things Beijing international students are getting involved in, and giving them the perfect platform to express themselves.
The beijingkids Student Takeover is designed to provide journalistic experience to students of various schools to practice writing, seeing their work published in beijingkids magazine and website, and experiencing the value of making a contribution to community and society.
This opportunity will also be giving students real-world experience of the process of pitching a story to editors, developing that story, and helping to shape how this piece will be represented visually when it is time to go to print.
Selected student writers will write one or two articles (600-1,800 words depending on your idea) to be published in the magazine.
Students applying for a slot in the program should be:
– Currently in middle or high school (from age 12 up);
– A proficient English speaker regardless of nationality;
– A student with excellent English writing skills;
– Well-informed about news affecting expat and local communities;
The general direction of the topics must be interesting, positive, and constructive to the healthy development of young people and communities in Beijing. Topics that can be covered are, but not limited to: academics, animal welfare, the arts and creative writing, contests, environmental awareness, food and dining, health and wellness, real-life challenges, science, sports, solutions, and travel.
Schools that are interested in this opportunity should have their prospective student correspondents come up with their ideas, and can connect them with us directly (WeChat: KippWhittaker, firstname.lastname@example.org). We will also on request set up a separate info session for student correspondents and their guardians, as well as school marketing officers, to talk about the editorial and visual direction of this special magazine issue.
– Living (style, technology, life trends)
– Health (exercise/sports, tips for healthy living)
– Dining (restaurant reviews, recipes, taste tests)
– Student Voice (creative writing, humorous articles about life)
– The Collegiate (prepping for college, testing, career paths)
– Features (Anything dealing with life in Beijing from an international school student’s perspective)
Here are the deadlines for our Student Takeover issue:
– May 14: Submission of article ideas and story pitches
– June 18: A rough draft of your story and photos
– July 2: Final draft
Note that all submissions must be sent to email@example.com.
Keep in mind that this project requires a certain degree of maturity, along with a genuine interest in writing. We want to create a memorable and authentic journalism experience for these students that choose to get involved.
Photo: Dave’s Studio